JDot Unplugged

Monday, April 7, 2008

West Coast Wax Vol. 5

Jim Croce
As I stated before, I’ve been getting more and more into Folk Rock these days, and Jim Croce is my go-to-guy. The song Spin, Spin, Spin is a solemn (my favorite word as of late) tale about taking drugs and wandering through life. Jim Croce’s days were extremely few, which somehow makes him musically immortal. If not for this sad fact of dying before his time, Jim Croce would still sustain measurable weight among the best folk singing song writers of his and any time. In regards to his emotionally capturing songwriting ability, allow me to presents words spoken from the man himself:

You don't tug on superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off that old lone ranger
And you don't mess around with JIM


Front 242
When I got into this worldly influential industrial dance band, I got REALLY into them. So much so that when I bought like 75% of their catalogue in a 2 week span, I didn’t allow myself the proper time to appreciate each album as its own entity. Instead I saw them as parts of a whole. So lately I’ve been giving Front 242, in all its majestic glory the attention it deserves. If you’re into electronic, attempt an early album of Front 242 to appreciate the foundation of modern electronic music.


Them

Last year I started my Van Morrison phase that I thought would end by the time fall came around. It’s been a year and Van the Man shows no signs of slowing down. This particular 2 LP set was given to me by my father under the condition that I burn the LP onto a CD for him. Fair enough. So now I have the double LP AND the album on my computer, ipod and cd. For those who don’t know, Them was part of the mid 60’s British Invasion wave. Sounding like early Stones mixed with the Animals, Them is surely a sight to behold.


They Might Be Giants
My all-time favorite band!






Lagwagon
Something of considerable note happened to me on March 30th. I bought the Lagwagon album Resolve (their latest) on vinyl and never gave it a spin. I set it under my turntable to mark the next album I would serve up. It sat there for almost 2 weeks, until March 30th. I listened to the album and remembered my younger days of delivering pizza for Domino’s while listening to, at that time, Lagwagon’s entire catalogue. That prompted me to go to allmusic.com to read the review on Resolve. What I found shocked me to the core. Resolve was dedicated, and revolves around the death of original Lagwagon drummer Derrick Plourde. I hadn’t heard this, so I proceeded to type in Derrick Plourde’s name in Wikipedia.org. I found out, that EXACTLY 3 years to the day Lagwagon drummer Derrick Plourde, the person who’s dedicated album I was currently listening to, had died. I couldn’t help but think something of higher power was trying to show me this amazing fact. This instance will definitely be an experience that I’ll never forget.

A bit long this week. Please accept my shallow apology.

No comments: