JDot Unplugged

Sunday, March 16, 2008

West Coast Wax Vol. 2

Bruce McCulloch - Drunk Baby Project (2002)
Bruce's follow-up to his endlessly pleasing debut, Drunk Baby Project is a bit of a let down upon first listen. I'd purchased this CD a few years ago and only last week did I give it another chance. What I found upon that second listen was 1) I am an idiot, and 2) Bruce will never NOT be funny.

Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts I-IV (2008)
There are a lot of NIN fans out there, and I am not one of them. I do however respect the man and what he's trying to do. Having said that, Ghosts I-IV is great chill music perfect for background music to any modern day scenario of work or pleasure. This all instrumental album (well, 4 albums actually) is a pleasant surprise, even for those not head-over-heals into his back catalog.

Zeke - Kicked in the Teeth (1998)
Zeke is fast paced pop-hardcore. Not for everyone, but just so happens to be my cup-o-tea.



Van Morrison - Moondance (1970)
3 key tracks on this 1970 masterpiece by former Them lead singer Van Morrison. Track 1: And It Stoned Me (amazing song of slow pace and youthful exuberance), track 2: Moondance (sounds like a Vegas show piece and great medium to show off Van the Man's vocal talents), and track 9: Everyone (fittingly used as the closing song to the flick, The Royal Tenenbaums).

Jimi Hendrix - The Jimi Hendrix Experience (1967)
I used to listen to Jimi Hendrix all the time in Jr. High and early High School. Then, for about 12 or so years I kind of ignored him. Listening to Jimi now is like unexpectedly seeing a family member or close friend you haven't seen in over a decade. It seems as though not a day has passed since singing all these songs in my parent's unfinished basement. Legendary music can do that.

Ok. Week 2 of the new and improved West Coast Wax. Be sure to click the albums for links to reviews written by people with more talent than me. Oh, and where the rest of the links will take you to allmusic.com, Ghosts I-IV will take you to the wikipedia.org article. Allmusic doesn't have a review up for that one. I guess it isn't officially out yet. Ok, bye.

No comments: